This holiday, get your kids in the kitchen and ask them to help you make these really simple, tasty and more importantly healthy treats. With a small sprinkle of cinnamon your kitchen will quickly be filled with the smells of winter drawing hungry mouths from all corners of the house!
Portable, packable and without any extra added sugar, you are sure to be on a winner with this easy-peasy recipe.
NB: You might want to double the quantities for this recipe and do two batches – when we made these they disappeared into little mouths before we knew it!
- 2 or 3 apples (any type you like, we used a mix of red and green ones. Even better ask your kids to choose their favourites)
- Ground cinnamon (optional – leave out if your kids don’t like the taste)
- Heat the oven to 140C and prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Finely slice the whole apple (with the skin on) through the equator. Use a mandolin if you have one, but be sure to use the safety cover
- Ask your children to lay the apples on the baking tray in one layer, depending on the size of your oven you may need to do two baking sheets. It is important the apple slices have plenty of room as they need to dry out
- Very carefully sprinkle over some cinnamon and place in the oven
- Cook for 45 mins to an hour, turning halfway. Ask your kids to keep a careful eye on them and as soon as they start turning golden brown remove them from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- We don’t see why this wouldn’t work with pears too
- Make sure young children are fully supervised in the kitchen, especially when knives and hot ovens are in use