Top tips for using hand sanitisers safely
These days hand sanitisers are everywhere, helping us to stay safe whenever we are out and about.
When used correctly they are safe, but take extra care around kids. Just like with medicines and other household products, younger kids can mistake hand sanitisers as food or drink.
Good hand hygiene helps us stay healthy and stop the spread of harmful diseases, so always remember to;
- Practice good hand washing habits. Scrubbing with soap and water is the best way to clean your hands and kill the most germs.
- If you don’t have access to soap and water, use hand sanitiser.
- Store hand sanitisers safely out of kids’ reach, including those kept in purses or sports bags.
- Follow the label instructions and supervise kids’ use. This helps ensure hand sanitisers are used safely and effectively.
- Teach older kids how to use hand sanitisers properly without assistance.
- If a child swallows hand sanitiser, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 131 126. Available from anywhere in Australia - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Download a fact sheet Share the campaign
From informed food choices to cyberbullying, we are helping Australian parents raise healthy children.
View our range