Christmas is just around the corner and Harold and the team are looking forward to a well-deserved break with family and friends. The end of the year is often a time of reflection on our progress and achievements. Both as an organisation and a society as a whole, we have much to celebrate!
Here are our top 7 reasons to celebrate this Christmas:
- This year Life Education NSW reached more children with vital health and safety lessons. Almost 300,000 students from more than 1800 preschools and schools across the state saw our program. That’s the equivalent of 1450 children visited by our Educators each day. Read about some of our wonderful school visits to the Blue Mountains, School of the Air and Westmead.
- A new study showed the effectiveness of programs such as the Life Education program to promote Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and prevent substance misuse and obesity.1
- Parents believe we can help in the fight against childhood obesity. An overwhelming 98 per cent of parents we surveyed believe health education is important and want more assistance to tackle childhood obesity.
- Messages about healthy eating are starting to pay off, with the world's largest ever study of childhood obesity showing Australia's rate has started to plateau!
- Our survey of upper primary school students showed that almost all students (88%) said they were less likely to smoke because of what they learned in our program.
- Overall, the proportion of young Australians aged 18 to 29 years drinking at risky levels “declined significantly”
- It just got even easier to support Life Education (and find great Christmas gift ideas!) via our new online shop. Each purchase from our shop goes directly towards providing Aussie kids with our health and safety lessons! .
We invite you to take the time to read our Life Education NSW Annual Report 2016-17 to find out more about our recent achievements.
It’s often said that it takes a community to raise a child. Thank you to everyone who supported us through the past year. Without you we couldn’t do our job helping to raise the next generation of healthy Australians.
Have a Merry Christmas and a safe, happy and healthy New Year!
Healthy Harold and the team at Life Education NSW
1. Toumbourou J, Rowland B, Renner H, Hobbs T.Healthy lifestyle choices in children: an Evidence Check rapid review brokered by the Sax Institute for the NSW Ministry of Health, 2016.