WHAT IS OCSOBER?
Ocsober is a fundraising initiative that encourages people to give up alcohol for the month of October.
The money raised goes to Life Education, the organisation behind the iconic educational mascot, Healthy Harold the giraffe. Life Education is a health promotion charity and Australia’s largest independent provider of health and drug education in schools. For 35 years, Healthy Harold has been teaching Australian children how to be healthy and safe. In 2015, Ocsober aims to raise ‘$700,000 to empower 700,000 Aussie kids’.
Ocsober is also an important opportunity to highlight the growing danger of binge drinking and alcohol abuse, particularly among young Australians. Participants can also enjoy other potential benefits from a month off alcohol including feeling healthier and fitter, weight loss and the chance to enjoy Sunday mornings again!
There are plenty of other reasons why participating in Ocsober and supporting Life Education and Healthy Harold is worthwhile:
- Every 24 minutes an Australian dies through either legal or illegal drugs
- Alcohol related harm is responsible for 5,554 deaths annually and 157,132 people are hospitalised annually due to excessive alcohol consumption
- Teenagers who start drinking before age 15 are five times more likely to become dependent on alcohol than those who don’t start until they are 21
- Nearly 50% of 16-17 year old drinkers say they intend to get drunk most times/ every time they drank alcohol
- More than 20% of 14 – 19 year olds consume alcohol on a weekly basis
- Alcohol is involved in 13% of all deaths among 14–17-year-old Australians.
- One Australian teenager dies and more than 60 are hospitalised each week from alcohol-related harms.
- Drinking contributes to the three leading causes of death among adolescents – unintentional injuries, homicide and suicide
Why should I participate?
Raise money for Life Education so we can send our specialist educators and iconic educational mascot, Healthy Harold the giraffe, into even more schools across Australia. For over 35 years, we’ve been teaching Australian children how to enjoy a healthy lifestyle by resisting participation in drug and alcohol.
Signing up to Ocsober is an easy way to help us achieve this and make a huge difference to the lives of hundreds of thousands of young people.